Tuesday, February 04, 2014

A drive up to Mamallapuram, Kokkilamedu Kuppam, Airplane & ECR

I had a drive up to Mamallapuram on Sunday evening after long time or past summer. I haven’t planned for a drive but decided to go out to beach in the evening and my cousin on his own plan of dropping his grandmother at her house in Mamallapuram enriched my idea of going out. I joined my cousin family, following their interest to accompany me during the ride and living adjacent to ECR (east coast road) that begins at Thiruvanmyuir Bus Depot; and touching the road after 3 month (due to femur fracture)  put me into lot of surprise the changes brought alongside the road. Number of showrooms had emerged either sides of the road, like mushrooms emerging after a brief rain; many villas have also take place on the ECR towards Mamallapuram.

Mamallapuram Beach
(click images to enlarge)
Since fracture I couldn't take seat into our SUV due to its height, so we took our uncle’s car and made a pleasant drive into ECR… and I wasn't comfort with my camera to take pictures using this car but my cousin sis took few pictures for me. After dropping my cousin’s granny at her home, we took a brief drive around the Mamallapuram which we sometime used to do while visiting the town. We drew beyond the town and went up to the rear gate of Kalpakkam Atomic Power Station and checked a beach beside a fishing village. Kokkilamedu Kuppam (village) is one of tsunami affected area where NGOs had built number of identical house to the villagers residing very close to shore. A big wave is enough to touch or test their houses and there were number of boats resting on the shore after week-long fishing.

Kokkilamedu Kuppam Beach
The coconut palms at the distance of waves kissing were pleasing to check and the cool breeze rushing from the sea makes cold embraces. The houses in the village were all built neatly with narrow lanes in-between   and each house is left with concrete benches, outside, to sit and relax in evening and there were also few benches facing the sea which I am sure will make it feel pleasure sitting and watching the beach. The village was also laid with concrete roads and interestingly there are three graveyards for this village which I guess must be distinguished regarding their caste and community. Nice the road leads up to seashore to make it possible getting close to it but the environment wasn't clean to spent there more time.

Airplane
We also come across a big airplane near Five Rathas, which I still have no idea how it should have brought there and why... but each one has different ideas about it and some says there’s a hotel coming up inside the plane or at the premises the plane is parked. I think it must have brought there to support the marine heritage museum that going to exists there soon and a submarine is also on the way to lay there which right now stable at Karaikal port. I still can’t believe how they brought the plane there, because the roads weren't wide enough leading to this place and even if they depart the wings and tail, how comes the big body. But I am excited seeing a plane near!

Surprising there wasn't much crowd at Mamallapuram (a UNESCO World Heritage Site of sculptures) being a Sunday and the roads were also unusually less crowd of vehicles and perhaps, absence of many buses on that day could be a reason for the shortage of crowd. We find number of Great Egrets on the Muttukadu backwater, but we couldn't stop and take pictures unlike before since vehicles passing constantly. The day ends with bright sunset for us and the sun was too fast that day rising down to pinkish red without giving a chance to capture in-between trees and buildings. The ECR has become much accident pone there days and we see more than couple of accident that day and I think the barriers kept along the road to control speed were also in a manner of creating accidents. I think the police need to consider alternate source to this to reduce the accidents and the way buses crossing those barriers where threatening!
Sunset @ ECR

16 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Wow this looks like it was an amazing scene to experience. There's something so amazing and tranquil about the ocean isn't there?

Betsy Banks Adams said...

So glad you were able to get out for a nice drive. Great photos by your cousin's sister.

I guess that airplane was there to advertise the upcoming museum...

Foggy morning here on the Cumberland Plateau. Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Betsy

TexWisGirl said...

so glad you got to take a nice drive out! that plane parked there is interesting. it would make a unique restaurant or club. :)

Indrani said...

Very happy to read about this trip of yours! Great pics.

Akanksha Jain said...

Thats something exotic !!

Renu said...

Drive on ECR is still very pleasant..

Rajesh said...

Wonderful trip to Mahabalipuram. I like that your name on the plane.

Krishna/കൃഷ്ണ said...

nice trip... beautiful post...

thanks

Ramakrishnan said...

Glad you were able to take the drive to Mahabs and enjoy yourself. The fresh air and the sea beach & waves would certainly have added to your energy and enthusiasm. Really puzzling how then aero-plane got their !

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous pictures! We have a Jumbo jet at the airport here that has been converted into a hotel.

Destination Infinity said...

Once that marine museum inside the submarine comes up, I will visit this place. Let's see what they do with the airplane! The sea water is so blue! I am sure it was a wonderful evening for you :)

Destination Infinity

George said...

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get out for a pleasant drive. The seashore is very beautiful. It will be interesting to learn what that plane is doing in the location where it is parked. It would also be interesting to learn how it got there.

Unknown said...

I hope you find out about that plane some day and remember to tell us the rest of the story. I can feel the heat in the sand near the ocean. It was -16 C. here this morning. I am ready for Spring. I wish I could have gone along on your glorious day. Imagine not having to put on 3 layers of clothing and hats and scarves and boots to go outside in February.

Sandhya said...

All the pictures are beautiful, Jeevan! I can see you enjoyed the trip fully!

I didn't read about the airplane there anywhere. Wonder what mistery is there!

Be happy always, Jeevan!

deeps said...

seems to be a lovely place to hang out n relax... an airplane on beach!! interesting...

Bhushavali said...

Where is that plane near Mahabs... I've never seen that!
Bhusha's INDIA TRAVELOGUE