Thursday, July 16, 2009

Gulmohar

Bloomed Gulmohar
At end of May the tree stands bare without leaves and I was worried looked at either shrubs bloomed in flame of red. But in its development as a tree, against my home, I was pleased by its first appearance of blossom in mid June. I once wondered would this shrub relive after the total destruction by a bulldozer on behalf construction and to my surprise it began to grow more than enough to give shadow and wind. I thanked whatever stopped the land owners to go further into there plan and I could say this shrub is also one of my source of energy, and I see often in morning or evening the koel chirp sweet as it is belong to its own species sitting on this tree. The squirrels run and play on its branches and left stand to few water birds, and its home to a lonely jangle crow, which sleep all nights on this tree.

Now the tree has bloomed in flame of red, and I see Gulmohar adorn our resident and complete with gesture that detained these days. Getting into some detail about this tree and flower, it was discovered in early 19th century in its native island country Madagascar, by botanist Wensel Bojer and it named as Delonix regia. Gulmohar is a flamboyant tree bloom with flowers for several weeks in spring and summer, and being pretty it is viewed as world’s most colorful tree. The trees fern-like leaves are composed of small individual leaflets and fold up at the onset of dusk. Looked like stretched feathers it also known as peacock flowers.

12 comments:

Anya said...

Lovely flowers Jeevan :)
They look-a-like on "geraniums" in our country very populair flowers for in the garden !!!

Kavi said...

The gulmohar is a flower that blooms in my home too. And every time it blooms well, we beleive that something good is coming our way...

Hmm...Its a small world. Indeed !

Devika Jyothi said...

Nice photo and post, Jeevan :)

I love gulmohar...every street/campus in my home city had gulmohar spreading its bright umbrella...and while walking through those places...anyone becomes a poet, i used to think in those days :)

wishes,
devika

Sujata said...

Nice pictures and a nice post!

Aparna said...

First time on your blog.
Gulmohhurs bloom next to my garden too. It is astounding to see the red flowers in bloom.
Great pic.

Vishesh said...

ha i love the tree...its so bright ;)

Ash said...

Gorgeous! Such lovely colour!

Priya said...

Those flowers are vibrant and beautiful always.

Jeevan said...

Thanks for sharing you bit part of gulmohar :)

Welcome Aparna :)

Vetirmagal said...

Hey..

Lovely colour Jeevan! And a good write up too.

We too have a Gulmohar, adjucent to our gate. It is 20 years old , and gives pretty flowers. It is huge, It touches the front neighbour's compound.

My side neighbour got a mouthful from me , when he wanted to cut down the tree. He restricted to his side of the branch. All the vendors rest in its shade in summer. All the car guys want to park under it!

It really gives pleasure to watch the tree. Our tree is slowing down flowering now. Here in hyderabad, it flowers earlier.

Now when I see it , I am going to think of your tree :-)

Anonymous said...

Everybody loves gulmohar. So am I :)

indicaspecies said...

I love to see the Gulmohar trees in full bloom. These trees remind me of my childhoold as we had one in our backyard then.